Location: Dubuque, IA. Campus of Loras College
Materials: native stone, cement
Open to the public: Yes
Plaque reads: The Grotto, originally constructed in 1954 during the Marian year, was initiated by Loras President the Most Reverend Loras Lane and modeled after the Grotto of the University of Notre Dame. The inspiration was the famous Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes, France. It is constructed of weathered native stone and accented by antique iron railings. The grotto provides a setting to hold outdoor Masses, Marian Ceremonies, and a spot for visitors to spend time in quiet meditation. The original gift of the Grotto came from Lillian and Rosalyn Schrup. In 1990, the Class of 1954 funded improvements to the Grotto. Additional enhancements were provided by Nicholas (54') and Maureen Savaiano. Don Noel contributed countless hours to the beautification and upkeep of the new Grotto along with many other volunteers. The relocation and building of the new Grotto was completed thanks to a generous donation by Jim Davis (67'), in memory of his wife Jane, and was dedicated on Oct 6th, 2011.